What makes fashion more sustainable?
Whether fashion can be sustainable at all is up for debate, because fashion is per se "extra". Clothing becomes fashion when the wearer or viewer is given the feeling, beyond the mere function, that the clothing is charged with values that strengthen the ego. This can be a feeling of showing off one's strengths and covering up one's weaknesses, or the representation of belonging to a particular community, or of being part of a larger idea that is relevant at the time. So fashion is a kind of currency with which we interact with our environment.
So fashion shouldn't just look good, it actually only looks good to us if we use it to create an exchange with our fellow human beings. This means that it is not fashion that is sustainable, but the clothing that fashion is based on and that can have a positive impact on the environment and society. Here are some aspects to consider:
1. Eco-Friendly: Sustainable fashion uses eco-friendly materials and production methods that help reduce the ecological footprint of the fashion industry. By using sustainable fabrics such as organic cotton, hemp and linen and natural dyes, the amount of chemicals and toxins released into the environment is reduced.
2. Ethical Production: Sustainable fashion encourages ethical production by ensuring workers are paid fairly, treated well and work in safe conditions. This means that sustainable fashion is not only better for the environment, but also for the people involved in the production process.
3. Unique and Creative: Sustainable fashion often features a unique and creative design that contrasts with fast fashion pieces. As sustainable fashion brands focus on producing high-quality, durable pieces, they have more time to create unique and interesting designs.
4. Socially Responsible: Sustainable fashion brands are often socially responsible and give back to the community in some way. Many sustainable fashion brands donate part of their profits to social causes or work with local artisans to create their pieces, supporting the local economy and community.
5. Durable: Sustainable fashion is designed to last, which means it is of higher quality than fast fashion products. Sustainable fashion is often made from durable materials and is designed to be washed and worn multiple times. This makes them a better investment and a more sustainable choice in the long run.
Overall, sustainable fashion is great because it's better for the planet, better for the people involved in the production process and better for consumers who want to invest in quality pieces that last. Sustainable fashion promotes responsible consumption and encourages people to think more carefully about what they wear and where it comes from.
If you want to know how we implement these aspects at AA Gold, then read more about the AA Gold Methodology here